Friday, January 27, 2012

Ticker Tape Doll Quilt

Recently I taught a class in a quilt group that I belong to on how to use up your scraps. I got so excited about using up my endless supply of scraps that I decided to make a goal for 2012 to completely finish one scrap quilt in each month of 2012. Maybe then I could actually make a dent in my scrap bins. Now, I just need a way to organize them. They were all organized neatly (or so I thought), but when I started using them they exploded all over my sewing room! Here's my finish for this month so far (I know I started with an easy one). It's a ticker tape doll quilt for my niece Rory. I think I'll finally package it up and mail it to her today. I got the idea from one of my favorite blogs here. I really like how the purple binding framed it. It think it's fun to work with scraps and see what kinds of fabrics are in your stash and how they kind of naturally go together.







I also came up with this idea that I'm in love with. They are little log cabins with my smaller strips. There is no measuring and no set widths. I just started with a square and then added strips around and around until it was larger than six inches across and up and down and then squared them. Some are really straight and some are not depending on if I felt like squaring them up as I sewed. These are really fun to do!



Sometimes the fabrics are random and sometimes I had a plan. Like this one that is just purple and pink.



This block is another one of my favorites!




My other WIP with scraps is this rail fence. I think this will be the next one I try to finish. As you can see I have a hard time working on one thing at a time. Here's to the new year and making a HUGE dent in those scraps!

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea, I need to get rid of, errrr use up, some scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished up a scrap quilt, too! I loved making a dent in my scrap bin, feels so good to put these little pieces to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what fun scrappy projects! i love the ticker tape doll quilt. it's charming!

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! You have inspired me to have a go too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun projects. Keep using up them scraps. Then it's fun to buy new fabrics to "make new scraps!"

    ReplyDelete